This measure proposes revising Title 24, Part 6 requirements using a combination of the requirements in Title 24, Part 4 (California Mechanical Code) and ASHRAE 62.1-2016: Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality. The ventilation requirements in 2016 Title 24, Part 4 are based on or reference ASHRAE 62.1-2013. Therefore, aligning Title 24, Part 6 with select sections in Title 24, Part 4 will concurrently align with the corresponding section in ASHRAE 62.1-2016. All of the proposed changes would impact the mandatory requirements for ventilation in Section 120.1 of Title 24, Part 6. The specific recommendations include the following:
- Replace Section 120.1(b) with the ASHRAE 62.2-2016 requirements which apply to high-rise residential buildings.
- Require MERV 13 air filters for all ducted forced air system supply outdoor air or all occupancies.
- Revise Natural Ventilation criteria to align with ASHRAE 62.1-2016.
- Revise Mechanical Ventilation required ventilation calculation align with 130 percent of ASHRAE 62.1-2016 and include a simplified minimum ventilation rate calculation procedure.
- Update exhaust ventilation airflow requirements.
- Add recirculated air limitations.
- Delete Table 120.1 – A: Minimum Ventilation Rates and add in its place the System Ventilation Efficiency table.
- Add Table 120.1 – B: Minimum Ventilation Rates in Breathing Zone which uses the expanded list of occupancy categories at 130 percent of 62.1-2016.
- Add Table 120.1 – C: Zone Air Distribution Effectiveness.
- Add Table 120.1 – D: Minimum Exhaust Rates.
The Statewide CASE Team 2019 Title 24, Part 6 Final CASE Report is available below. The Final CASE Report incorporates feedback received during utility-sponsored stakeholder meetings, Energy Commission Pre-Rulemaking workshops, and personal communication with stakeholders.
Presentations and Reports
- Presentation from Stakeholder Meeting on September 27, 2016
- Notes from Stakeholder Meeting on September 27, 2016
- March 2017 Utility-Sponsored Stakeholder Meeting Presentation
- Notes from Stakeholder Meeting on March 16, 2017
- CASE Study Results Report
- Final CASE Report– Revised December 2017
- Final CASE Report
- Draft CASE Report
- Purchase ASHRAE Standard 62.1 here.
- Energy Commission’s Authority & Responsibility Regarding Indoor Air Quality
Give Us Your Feedback
The Statewide CASE Team values input from all stakeholders engaged in the Title 24, Part 6 code change process. We encourage the open exchange of code change comments and concerns.
Use the form above to provide feedback on this measure.